Sunday, October 12, 2008

October Newsletter for Jen Grisanti Consultancy

Hello, and welcome to the October newsletter for Jen Grisanti Consultancy.

This last month has definitely been the strongest and most exciting month since I launched the consultancy in January. My first Storywise Seminar at UCLA exceeded my expectations in every way; the day went smoothly, the guest speakers were brilliant, the participants were incredible, and the stories and discussions that came out of it were phenomenal. And there was a moment while I was speaking, when I felt "this is exactly what I am supposed to be doing." I could not have asked for a better experience.

I want to extend a special thanks to my guest speakers of the day as well: Glen Mazzara for sharing his outstanding storytelling gifts and being so accessible to the participants, Elisa Roth for her humor and charm while taking us on the colorful ride of TV development and Gaylyn Fraiche for her honesty and clarity about the feature film business's challenges and opportunities. I'd also like to thank TVTracker, InkTip and Kinko's for being sponsors and to Joann Klonowski for coordinating it all with me. Lastly, I to give a tremendous thanks to the agents, managers and executives who took the time to fill out my surveys; the workbooks at the seminar were a big hit and the information you provided very beneficial.

For more about the day and information about my next seminar, visit my website at www.jengrisanticonsultancy.com and press LEARN MORE next to Storywise Seminar on the home page.

A few days after my seminar, I started teaching NBCs Writers on the Verge program. I LOVE this talented group of writers, and feel this program is incredible for the opportunities it offers. I feel privileged to be a part of it.

A writing team, TJ Brady and Rasheed Newson, which I've been working with for months, was picked up by UTA. To see the work of my clients being recognized was a hugely satisfying moment for me!
I learned so much from all of the above about teaching, marketing, promotions, the value of the people in your life and the relationships you build. There is such a gift in watching others blossom creatively and professionally. I am truly grateful for the fulfillment and inspiration it brings to my life.

If you are a writer who is interested in learning more about the value of a one on one experience with the creative process, please contact me at jennifer@jengrisanticonsultancy.com. If you want to learn more about the services I offer, please go to http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001erznbUlf2_Qr5gOKO6sAl93O8FeMUYoAXCFiSeRk0IxSvITQKLE8gKPN-g-AuyxfXyGEQkHXSwuDSxlqFNWhUkPZzDT0J7AbrL4rlQ1mTGo7ieaVKc26L9UdHgvhcg2v.

NEW TESTIMONIALS FOR THE SEMINAR

"Jennifer Grisanti brings an abundance of hard-to-get information and advice on the business and technique of writing for screen and television; all delivered with her extremely attractive and approachable personality. Attended by already-successful and newbie writers alike, Grisanti's Storywise Seminar attracts some of the industry's top executives as speakers, which makes this a must-attend event for trade, craft and networking. I highly recommend this for both professionals and newcomers."

Gato Scatena, VP Marketing - InkTip.com

"With the Storywise Seminar, Jen unlocks key elements to the process of scriptwriting. In just one day, she presents a rich array of essential materials, guiding the writer through definitive discoveries about our stories. Her selection of engaging industry professionals revealed insider tips and tales, and her workbook offers a toolbox full of resources. This event uncovers Jen's unique approach, inspiring and motivating the writer to transform the written page."

Roberta Cruget - Writer

"Jennifer Grisanti's Storywise Seminar is a gift no writer, director or creative executive should deny themselves. The inaugural session was inspiring, moving, uplifting and life affirming. Jen's approach to the work is intelligent, thoughtful and real. The guest speakers were gracious, informative and truly interested in us. The day was, in a word, amazing and I advise anyone who is serious about their craft to get on the list for the next seminar!"

James Bontempo, Co-Writer of the Award Winning play, "A Place at Forest Lawn."

"Jen's first story seminar set the bar high for her future seminars: it was tremendous! She brought the day-long event to life with the story of her journey in this business and by reminding us of our own unique inspiration that brings us to the page day in and day out. Jen then infused the day with crucial information about the creative challenges and rewards of being a professional writer and director; and the fabulous TV and film executives she brought in shared generously their insight about what it takes to work in the industry. Jen -- a passionate advocate for stories and those of us who tell them -- truly delivers."

Jude Roth - Writer, PAGE Int'l finalist, Slamdance & Cinestory semifinalist, Austin second rounder

BOOKS

For me, spiritual books are every bit as important as professional books.

SPIRITUAL

THE POWER OF INTENTION
Written by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

This book is incredible! I love every page of it. If you approach your life with intention in everything you do, it is amazing to see what can happen. It is all about the energy you put out. I used this in my seminar to help writers see the value in setting intention when going into meetings.

PROFESSIONAL

THE TV WRITER'S WORKBOOK
Written by Ellen Sandler

Personally, I feel this is the strongest new book out there on television. Ellen's approach to writing TV is inspiring, informative and highly accessible, and she offers great tips on how to get to the core of your own story. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to work in television.

DVD

On the Page: the DVD Pilar Alessandra

This is a great DVD for writers who want to dive into the story process. It's a one stop shop that offers writing exercises in easy, fun 10 minute increments that take your script from the brainstorming stage, through outlining, into writing pages, and all the way into rewriting.

Pilar Alessandra is a script consultant and director of the popular writing program "On the Page." Prior to starting "On the Page," she was a Senior Story Analyst for many major feature film production companies.

Pilar's amazing career has inspired me on many levels, and we share several clients. To learn more about Pilar's services, you should check out http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001erznbUlf2_RZWBm2rgvBsGb73ckWrJWPAWrkrwi-Yut4q9R2GCn0RXAFOKcEa_3jr5jzD7rtwwkH2h6jhxscuq1_SQZIByD4LGEuC-PXDywPTYY_XzP3Wg==.

NEW SEASON
The pilot for CRASH is OUTSTANDING. It was written by Glen Mazzara, Ted Mann and Randy Huggins and directed by Sandy Bookstaver and Terrance O'Hara. Every scene in this pilot is an event. The characters are written brilliantly. The cast is fantastic led by Dennis Hopper. Very few pilots draw you in from the beginning. This one does. You do not want to miss it!
CRASH is the first scripted drama on STARZ network. You can watch the first two episodes on the website for Starz.

Other stand out episodes this season were for DEXTER and CHUCK.

The first two episodes of DEXTER were outstanding! The second one, written by Melissa Rosenberg, blew my mind! There was an "oh shit" moment in it that I never thought they'd do this early in the season. But they did. I loved every moment of it. Great work Clyde Phillips and Melissa Rosenberg! I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

The second episode of CHUCK, written by Matt Miller, was excellent! The story was suspenseful, strong and compelling with lots of romance. Like DEXTER'S second episode, this too has an "oh shit" moment that will really take you be surprise. I'm hooked!

RESTAURANTS AND DESSERT SPOTS
Tasca Wine Bar
8108 W. Third St.
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 951-9890

I LOVE this restaurant. The food is INCREDIBLE. They serve Spanish tapas. I love the Burrata salad, the ravioli and the tuna tartar. I've also had some AMAZING wine there. Most recently, the Cordon Syrah 2003. It is a great place for intimate dinners where you want to be able to hear and enjoy one another.

Crumbs Cupcakes
9465 S. Santa Monica Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(310) 550-9811

Do you LOVE cupcakes? Well, you're going to die when you taste these! I had my very first Crumbs cupcake three weeks ago and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. I highly recommend the Reese's cupcake and the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I heard that the Carmel/Apple and the Brownie are also pretty spectacular!


NEED TO NETWORK?
Networking is the key to our business. It is such an important part of the process of getting hired.As many of you know, I host a networking night the first Friday of every month for entertainment professionals at the X Bar in the Century Plaza Hotel. It is located at 2025 Ave. of the Stars. The X Bar is a fantastic venue. They have a beautiful restaurant as well as an outside patio with a ton of seating.
The next one is on Friday, November 7, 2008. It starts at 7:00 p.m. and goes to 11:00 p.m. If you know people who would benefit from this, please have them e-mail me at jennifer@jengrisanticonsultancy.com and I will add them to the evite list. I also have the event listed on Facebook.

LOOKING FOR AN ASSISTANT?

This past summer, Carole Kirschner (WGA Showrunners Training Program, CBS Writers Mentoring Program) and Kam Miller (Writer on LAW & ORDER; SVU) launched the Assistant Training Program for Television at USC. Out of the '08 MFA and BFA writing graduates, they selected eight trainees.

They gave these participants a training program over a six day period that included 40 hours of training to be assistants, 6 hours of shadowing on top shows, 21 industry guest speakers from showrunner to writer's assistant and personalized feedback on interview skills, resumes, bios and career goals.

If you're looking for an assistant and want to learn more about these trainees, please go to http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001erznbUlf2_TWyzx16enlrXvTND6ryryCzyBO5vyBWsi4mkKHQwtpqRHczZsck08qaHn0SVY8WiHtv2UGsbsAeJmRmprA7KwjFf2MLjYMUkIKk2RY-l-mAnMDYGjdue2qG_8B-KpswJ3miVnrEtSqz8ttGGlFfFy_KJPceoBJ2igcXdTh4gYX8Q==

I applaud Carole and Kam for coming up with such a great idea!!

QUOTE OF THE MONTH
DO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH THE FRUIT OF YOUR ACTION -- just give attention to the action itself. The fruit will come of its own accord. The is a powerful spiritual practice.
Eckhart Tolle

Have a GREAT month!Warmest regards,Jenhttp://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001erznbUlf2_Qr5gOKO6sAl93O8FeMUYoAXCFiSeRk0IxSvITQKLE8gKPN-g-AuyxfXyGEQkHXSwuDSxlqFNWhUkPZzDT0J7AbrL4rlQ1mTGo7ieaVKc26L9UdHgvhcg2v

No comments: